Your vocal cords (also called vocal folds) are membranes attached to the muscles in your neck and throat– and they can get hurt. Sometimes temporarily, sometimes permanently. We are here to help.
Want instant relief from a tired voice? Watch this video from Ingo Titze.
First and foremost, if you feel PAIN of any kind…. STOP. And by stop, we mean talking, whispering, singing… everything. And schedule an appointment with an otolaryngologist TODAY.
For voices with damage there are several courses of action– and this website is going to give very broad sweeping statements– and you’ll need to determine exactly what is going on with your vocal cords and why. But here are a few basic solutions:
- Vocal silence for a period of time (4 weeks)
- Speech therapy
- Other treatments that are changing all the time– we just heard about a “spa treatment” for the vocal cords and will post about that soon.
Ways to hurt your voice:
- Glottal fry
- Harsh glottal onset
- Never varying pitch and staying in one or two notes in your vocal range
- Singing or speaking outside your pitch range
- Improper warming up or warming down
This page is a work in progress and we will continue to add articles and assistance for those who need help with damaged cords.